Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday: Race Day 2 - Guymon, Oklahoma

THE SHORT VERSION

Best moment of the day: For a brief second, I thought I saw Nicole! 2nd best moment, 3:43 baby! oh, yeah!


Finish Time 3:43:09 (This time it wasn't an accident!)
8:27 average mile, 26.38 miles on the watch
133 average HR.  Elevation was 850' less than yesterday.
Course was 1 mile loop on a bike path around a small lake, very mild ups and downs.

I used 4 minute run, 1 minute walk (except I frequently cheated the walks and ran partway into them, or started early out of it. So the splits will have 1 or 2 walks per split. Then some of the bigger numbers involved refilling my bottles & restroom.

The splits are as follows: 1 Mile Split/Heart Rate
8:48/132, 8:27/138, 8:42/133, 8:03/136, 8:17/133, 8:07/135, 7:40/136, 8:09/136, 7:39/137, 8:25/131, 8:30/131, 8:03/134, 8:45/130, 9:55/124, 8:43/131, 8:47/130, 9:00/128, 8:39/130, 8:37/131, 8:13/136, 8:24/134, 8:45/133, 8:38/135, 8:19/134, 8:35/133, 8:07/138,  the last .38 (7:06/147)

THE LONG VERSION

The day before, I didn't hear my alarm but woke up 15 minutes after it was suppose to ring. No panic, plenty of time.  Today, I didn't want to worry about it so I set 5 alarms on my phone, each with it's own ring, all 5 minutes apart, starting at 6am for the 7:30 race start time. I explored the area the night before (always do) so I knew I was less than 5 minutes from the race start. Also, since there isn't a time limit to the course, I could show up late and still get a finish time.  I state that so you wouldn't think I was neurotic or anything. Besides, I knew if I didn't have to worry about waking up that I would get a better rest.

So at 6:30 I heard the 5th alarm (the rooster) that has been crowing for 10 minutes. Since I'm in a tent, everyone else around me can hear it too, but they are in RV's so no biggy.  I couldn't get the phone to stop ringing which was very frustrating, so I pulled the battery out. I'm on the very western edge of the time zone, so was still dark, dawn didn't break until race start at 7:30.  I like to get to race start early to get good parking because I hate walking 1/4 mile back and forth between the car and race start when I forget stuff. Even with my later that desired start I got a good spot.

After I picked up the race bib and chatted with Jeremy, I spent the rest of the time waiting in the heated car because it was butt-a$$ cold outside. So my clothing strategy was to wear 4 layers of easily removable shirts, running tights, neck warmer, Fleet Feet hat, & HEAVY gloves. Since this was a 1-mile looped course I knew I could remove and obtain anything I needed every 8-10 minutes. I discarded the 1st layer 1st lap, 2nd layer 2nd lap, and around lap 8 I removed the 3rd layer, and had my last short sleeve lululemon blue shirt to finish the race. Around mile 15 I removed my hat and scarf, but replaced the scarf as a hat the next lap, and kept the gloves to the finish.






Started running and felt great! Decided to copy yesterday's strategy and get a 55 minute 6.7 mile time and build a buffer for later so if (when) I completely tanked it, I could still struggle to reach a sub 4.  1st 2 laps were smooth, then I felt something like a rock in my shoe and thought "oh no, blister. Do I take care of it now, or deal with it with mole skin later?" Of course I opted with the mole skin because I wasn't going to stop for a small blister.  Turned out to be something that happened earlier this year when I thought I had a blister, my feet were cracked. Wool blend socks are great for getting the sweat out, but they suck the moisture right out of my feet too. Note to self, lotion my feet.

The best moment of the day was around lap 5 or so when I looked across the lake (pond) and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw Nicki! She was similar in height, wearing the bright yellow brooks running top, and of course adorably yet fashionable dressed. Before I had time to logically process that it wasn't her, I felt a rush of happiness flow through my mind and heart. Then logic kicked in and I wasn't disappointed she wasn't there, but I was happy that my autonomic response to seeing her was a great happy feeling, which I was glad for. I reminisced on that for awhile, since I had time to think while I ran.

By the time I finished lap10, I could tell that I was going to build about a 10 minute buffer and get a 1:50 half marathon time (again). This was good, because it meant I could slow the 2nd half down and get a 3:50-3:55 finish time. I could feel the effects of yesterdays race and I would say it was more effort to run with the same pace as yesterday. Yesterday was probably a 75% effort/feeling and today was 85% to get the same results.

I used the same gel and electrolyte strategy as yesterday, except I added 2 Salt Tabs at mile 10, I would have been using them hourly if I could have remembered to do so.  Something else that made a difference was using gu gels with caffeine, jet blackberry at mile 18.  I noticed my mind really woke up and it was easier to run, and run faster (at least I felt it was) with the caffeine gels.  I'll probably do caffeine gels as soon as I feel heavy fatigue, especially when my mental energy feels low. 

Today I was right on the edge of several potential explosive physical issues, I had to monitor several areas. My Achilles were probably the worst and I needed to make sure I never "pushed off" too hard, especially when I started running again right out of a walk break.  I monitored yesterdays inner thigh knots by making sure I didn't push the hills (barely a hill, but just the steeper uphill parts). My neck wasn't as sore as yesterday because I could drop my bottle at the aid station and pick it up again when I needed it. My hamstrings started to tighten in back around mile 21. Around this time, I started to take the full minute walk breaks, but modified that in the last 2 laps and changed to just walking the hilly parts.

Around mile 10, I knew this would could be between a 3:45 and 3:59 finish time so I shot for the 3:45 and made it.Running a looped course was a lot more fun that it sounded. I was passing slow people like crazy and constantly getting positive comments. I could jump off the pavement at anytime, and frequently needed to do so to dodge in and out, and go around the other runners. 


Around mile 7 my heart rate monitor was chaffing really badly, and around mile 9 I figured out that I could tuck my shirt underneath between the monitor and my chest. That is where the funny sweat stain above comes from.


After the run, I planned to go take down the tent and shower at the RV park, but another runner mentioned there was a YMCA in town so I went there to relax and stretch. 

 There wasn't anyone in the pool and the lifeguard said that heater broke so the temp is in the mid to low 70s. I said to him "perfect" because I needed an ice bath. I swam a few laps to get used to the water and I remembered how good cross-training feels.




Eventually I succomed to the allure of the hot-tub and started playing with camera.

I was able to stretch in the pool, and later in the gym.  Re-ice my legs with cold shower water.

Off to WalMart for my chicken.  Did you know that if a chicken has been on the shelf for like 3 1/2 hours they will discount it to almost half? $4 chicken, which I at on the roadside on my way to the next town.


Yes I'm in Kanas. Ulysses Kansas, now. Went to the pre-race dinner.

 set up camp. It is windy and forecast to be cold tomorrow morning.
Blog at McDonalds. Do a Facebook update, then off to get ready for tomorrows race.  Tomorrow is the last 7:30 am start, the last two are at 6:30am.
I'm deciding between two race strategies for tomorrow. One is to run slower at walk every 9 minutes (or mile).  in order to average an 8:45 pace above, I find that I am running an 8:00 pace and the walk break brings it up to 8:45. So I could run an 8:15-8:25 pace (easier) and take fewer and farther between walk breaks. I may start out that way, and drop to the previous method if I feel it isn't working well.  My legs are starting to feel tighter so we shall see?  Also, I'm not sure what to do about the alarm thing? I'll let you know.

Goodnight!




No comments:

Post a Comment