Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday: Travel Day 3 (St Paddy's Day)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Good Morning. Found a Walmart, got my chicken. I also found a gluten free/dairy free smoothie (not Ogwalla but similar). Acquired mole skin, baby powder (for the squeaky orthotics, water, etc. I found a TJ Max and Ross too! Since I had a bit of time, I stretched out at a rest stop. Unfortunatly I tend to get overzealous with stretching before a race. In my 50 miler, I overstretched and paid the piper beginning at mile 25. I ended up taking my shoes on and off for the last 25 miles just trying to get comfortable. I used the triggerpoint foot roller and figured out how to use it while driving. Now though, I sense I may have bruised my planters facia by over-rollering them? I'll know tomorrow.

Interesting drive, didn't have radio reception for much of it. Northern NM has it's own beauty different from the other majestic scenery I traversed. As I headed toward TX, there is a lot of baron land (like E. WA) that makes driving through Eastern WA seem short, comparatively. I arrived in Texas around 4pm (I thought) but neglected that it was Central Standard Time. I lost 2 time zones in 3 days. Found the race start, went to packet pick-up and then to the gathering at the restaurant. Dalhart, TX is a small town. Only 3 radio stations total, Country (of course), Rock, & Spanish. One supermarket that closes at night and opens at 7am. And the place is much browner that the Internet photos.

I asked the race director how may were signed up for all 5 races. He stated about 105 were signed up but that includes the half marathoners too. I noticed on the Marathon Maniacs website that at least 50 Maniacs were signed up so that's a fairly good showing, I think!

At the restaurant, I could tell I was around my kind of people: others who have done Quadzilla's (4 marathons in 4 days) and an ultra runner lady who did the "double-dare" in Lake Tahoe (apparently around the 72 mile lake twice = 144 miles). It took her from Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon (78 hours-ish). She had a blister on her foot that went from her toes to her heal (Ouch!) Naturally, others wanted to run that one too, myself included. And get this, not anyone there used the word "crazy!" I was surprised at the lack of young runners at the dinner? Mostly "seasoned" runners.

I overheard the race director state that a couple of runners were striving for sub 4 hour times on all 5 marathons. He laughed and stated, "I don't think they'll be able to do it." Danger, Danger, my ego has risen! "Shoot" I thought, "I could probably do that!" But I have to ensure that I don't get injured. Now I'm sitting here in a quandry wondering if I can accomplish this feat (of feet) and not get injured? Now I'm going to change my racing strategy and attempt a sub 140 heart rate with a 8:30 run pace with walks. (Previously a Day 2 task, now being performed on day one) I just don't know what my heart rate will be at that pace so I'm now I'm going to have to see how I feel during the race before settling on a new goal. I think I will try to get sub-4 on the first one, as long as I can accomplish this without over-fatiguing my legs. We shall see. I spent a couple of hours organizing my gear, food, clothes and getting race preped. Baby powder in the shoes, deciding to sleep in a tent, or the car? Tomorrow is the 1st race day and I'll let you know how it went. Now that my ego has climbed aboard, it could get interesting. McDonald's just got crowded and someone want my table. Ciou!

1 comment: