Sunday, March 17, 2013

Saturday: Travel Day 2

I arrived at my brother Rob's house last night at 11:00 pm, as planned. We went for a 2hour run this morning, as we previously discussed, using a 3/1 run walk method. The farthest my brother had run to date was a 1/2 marathon last year and now he is signed up for a full on July 27th. We had all sorts of stuff to talk about; nutrition, training method, clothes! Actually, 2 of my brothers and 2 of my sisters are signed up for the event and the 5 of us are going to run it together (between 5 & 6 hours?). You know what they say, "The family that runs together, gets blisters at the same time too!"

We ran 12 miles in just over 2 hours and he didn't feel completely dead, so I was optimistic that perhaps someday he may like running. On the run I noticed my heart rate was reading higher than I expected, my brother attributed it to the higher elevation in Utah than Spokane. I was able to try the EFS electrolyte and unexpectedly it had real tart kick to it? I opted not to take Salt Stick capsules on this run and test if the EFS electrolyte was enough? It seemed like it worked. Rob ran with PowerAid and my persistent coaxing to try EFS didn't persuade him.

I told my brother my goal was to eat a chicken a day on this trip as my meal nutrition, the rotisserie kind at Costco-Safeway-Walmart-wherever. It felt like it was working at home and it's easy to find on the road. When I eat one, I alsways feel full and it keeps me from snacking on things I shouldn't. Instead I can easily snack on fruits and veggies. No more french fry cravings!

On our way to get chicken, we went to local sporting stores to find him a Gymboss (the interval timer used on run/walk method) but after 3 stores (including a specialty running store where the owner hadn't even heard of run/walk method) we decided to order one over the Internet. The trip wasn't a total loss because we found some great deals at TJ Max, including matching shirts for the marathon in July.

Eventually I was back on the road heading to Cheyenne, WY on I80 and then South through Denver to New Mexico on I25. As I drove over the Mountain passes and read the signs (7000 feet elevation, 8300 feet elevation) I was tempted to get out and to a high altitude training run, but I also wanted to arrive at the race start on time so I kept driving. Tonight was St. Paddy's eve and anyone who know how I like to dance should know how difficult it was not to stop in Denver and find some wild St Paddy' party in a club! Oh well! Just keep driving....

No comments:

Post a Comment