Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday: Race Day 1 - Dalhart, TX

THE SHORTER VERSION
Finish Time: 3:40 (race director states course was 26.4 but my watch stated 26, so I kept running)
My watch time for 26.2 = 3:42

5 Mile Laps (because the watch was set to bike and not run)
42:09 HR 134
41:28 HR 142
42:24 HR 142
42:40 HR 139
43:31 HR 135
(That's 25 miles, the last 1.2 miles in 9:53 with HR 137)
I averaged around an 8:20-8:30 pace which included the walk breaks. Since I forgot to set my watch to run and it was on bike, I couldn't ever see my average pace, only my speed.

My goal was 3:55 and HR average 130-140 so I beat that my a longshot and physically I feel OK and ready to run again tomorrow. Tomorrows strategy may be the same as today, except my watch will be set for run and I will average my pace at 8:45 so I will get closer to 4:55 finish time. I'll probably take salt tabs in addition to EFS electrolytes. And see, I notice at the end of today my face felt "salty", but i also got a respectable sunburn too!




THE LONG VERSION
Way colder than I expected. I knew it would heat up over the morning, so I planned on layers; armwarmers and short sleeves, light gloves, outer-throw away layer, and tights.  I ended up wearing a warm baselayer, tank top (marathon maniacs jersey), and biking jacket, wool socks, team blaze hat, and my Mizunos. because the course was looped, I knew I could dispose of stuff.

Race numbers were received according to the number of marathons run. I was 48 meaning there were 47 others who had run more marathons that I did. Including one guy who ran over 1000 marathons. Several there were working on getting 50 states for their 2nd or 3rd time. Experienced, aged, seasoned runners, but not fast.

The 6.6 mile looped course was recently groomed dirt/gravel around a lake. I figured I swap shoes around and Mizunos seemed best for this trail course. At the race start, there wasn't any fast people so naturally I took off in front using a 4minute run/45 second walk pace. About the 2nd mile a Boston Marathoner (evidenced by his jersey) had caught up and taken the lead. That's usually how the walk run works (and yes, eventually I did pass him).

I was frustrated when I looked at my watch and saw that I forgot to set it to run, instead it was set to bike. So the field settings didn't show pace, it showed speed - and my heart rate wasn't showing. Instead of stopping it and resetting it, I just went with it.  I went to the 2nd field setting which showed heart rate and time elapsed. It was good that I couldn't see my pace, because I suppose I would have tried to maintain a certain level. This way, I was forced to run with my heart rate which I strived to keep around 140 for the first lap.  The watch bike setting beep every 10 minutes to remind me to fuel/hydrate and the auto-lap was set for 5 miles. Something i figured out after at unfamiliar beep at 42 minutes into the run.  I figured this was a good mechanism to gauge if I were slowing down in the race.  it seemed like I completed the first lap in around 53 minutes, and my run walk method kept me next to the other two leaders who pulled me along.  (an ultra runner from Portland-Jeremy-who wore Altra shoes, and the Boston Marathoner)

I was shooting for 4:55ish and figured a 55 minute lap would provide enough buffer to slow down when my legs started to "feel the push."  I was able to keep my heart rate between 130 and 140 (average of 134) for the 1st 5-mile segment.  After I was warmed up, I felt great and it was hard to hold my heart rate down so it hovered in the 140s (average 142 for 2nd 5 miles). My second 5 miles was 41:28 so I felt like I was holding a steady pace even though my heart rate increased. 

The EFS electyrolyte seemed to be working although I don't know how much better it was than the gu brew? I used about one gu gel per lap (lemon).  When the Boston Marathoner and I were running he pointed out that we were running at  4000' elevation (forgot to check that) and that's why he felt a bit off in his breath. [I researched the elevations for the next runs-as follows: 3123, 2071, 3706, 5040]

It seemed like completed the 2nd course loop at 1:52, so I had built a small buffer. I stopped at the start/aid station and refilled my bottles and EFS gel flask.  Boston Marathon guy had started to drop back, so now it was just Portland Ultra marathoner (with Altra shoes) whose name is Jeremy, and myself out in the lead.  I was in such a rush to refuel and take off my extra layers that my sleeve caught on my gymboss and broke the clip when I removed my outer layer. My next watch auto-lap( miles 10-15) showed a 42:24 time with average heart rate of 142. I was glad to have the buffer so I didn't feel pressured to over-exert myself to get a sub-4 hr time.I did notice that my heart rate kept going up to the upper 140s and occasionally over 150 so i kept trying to bring it back down.


The 3rd lap I felt really good, plus I was running with the leader so it was hard to hold back. I got a 42:24 and could see that my speed was very consistent.I thought I would just maintain it and see what my finish time could be.  Unfortunately, I felt my first muscle spasm in my vastus medialus (just above the knee on the inside) I recalled feeling that when i ran with Nicki in SLC during Christmas break and I was cautious about landing on the snow ice. I did some stretching, but against my own council I decided to run through it at a calmer pace. I noticed that when i relaxed my ankles, the muscle didn't tighten. So I focused on that and it seemed to do the trick. I also notice that yesterday's concern about my planter fascia being overstreached wasn't a problem, I was very happy for that given that my planters fascia is what usually stops me at higher mileage. At this point, I extended my walk breaks to 1:00, and could feel the effects of the 15 second difference.

 Lap 4 (now into the final course loop) was 42:40 with a higher than desired heart rate that kept creeping above 150 so I'd have to bring it back down.  By now the Jeremy had kicked into overdrive and Boston Marathoner had dropped back. I was lapping many marathoners (always a fun, sort of, prudish feeling) and knew that I could run a 10 minute mile to meet my goal of finishing sub 4 hour.  So I dropped it down a notch, put myself into cruise control to finish without injury and give my legs the perspective of what it will be like to start tomorrows race. Having done back-to-back marathons before, I know that the 1st step of day 2 is exactly the same as the last step of day 1, so I wanted to relax my legs (mentally) for tomorrow.

A couple miles from the finish I kept thinking I was on track for a 3:53 finish time (recall that I couldn't see my pace, or distance, so I couldn't do proper calculations in my head, just ball-parking it. When the timer showed it last lap (lap 5) and I was only 1.2 miles from the finish, I saw that I was at 3:32, it dawned on my that I would break 3:45. First place was too far ahead, and 3rd place was to far back, so I waltzed on in with a 3:41, but my watch only showed 26 miles (on bike settings).  I'm anal retentive about distance, so I continued to run around the parking area until my watch said 26.2 and it had just turn over to 3:42 (3:42:07).

Oops! I didn't mean to run that fast, but I wasn't that surprised (only a little surprised).
I think I may run a similar strategy tomorrow, except I may start out with 1 minute walk breaks instead of 45 seconds. I'll have my watch on run settings and see the pace with the heart rate. I'll strive for an 8:45 average pace and see how close to 4 hours I get using that method.  I don't want to exert myself until halfway through the 3rd race, and only then if it's feasible to get a sub 4.  I figure sometime during marathon 3,4, or 5 I will need to abandoned the sub 4 goal, but I'm fairly confident that I can get it tomorrow. As long as I can keep injuries at bay, I sense I can continue running at this pace.

I hung around the race finish to see who else was even close,did some stretching then headed out of town for the next race 60 miles away in Guymon, Oklahoma. In Guymon, I found the RV park I researched, took a much needed hot shower, did laundry, set up the tent and went to town to get my chicken at WalMart. I explored the next race start area looking for good places to park and then off to McDonald's for free Internet and blogging!


Until tomorrow! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment