Sunday, March 17, 2013

Friday: Travel Day 1

I got a later start than anticipated but not to worry, I have 3 days and 24 hours of driving.  This first leg, Spokane to Salt Lake City, is one I travel 2-3 times a year with the family so what can be said about the trip? The only difference is that this time I constantly reviewed my racing strategy.  Should I start out easy and build, or start out well, and wind it down as I go? Options, options, options and oodles of time to consider the possibilities.

One options is:
Day 1: 130 heart rate, 4/1 walk/run
Day 2: 140 heart rate, 4/1 walk/run
Day 3: 150 heart rate, 4/1 walk/run
Day 4: 130-140 heart rate, run straight through
Day 5: 140+ heart rate, run straight through

With this strategy, it will be hard to predict the finish times because I will need to set my pace based on my heart rate.  The reason I opted for this was to use these races as practice endurance training for nutrition. I acquired EFS electrolyte powder (this is new to me), and I still haven't perfected the formula for the EFS gel. My goals for this event are as follows:
1st: knock out 5 states on my 50 states list (I already have 9 states now) so I really just have to finish
2nd: practice endurance nutrition
3rd: it's just great endurance training anyway!
4th: I hope there is more sunshine down here in the South.
5th: Practice holding back my ego (this will be hard, so it's a good thing it's ranked low as a goal)


No comments:

Post a Comment